Job Vacancies at Birmingham Civic
Come and Work With us
Join us and make a difference to the people of Birmingham through affordable local housing.
Trustee / Board Member
This is an opportunity to join the board of a small housing association operating in the Birmingham area.
The association provides general needs housing at social rents for people in need.
What will you be doing?
About the role
You will be a trustee and member of the Board of Management of the association.
The Board sets direction and ensures compliance with the values, mission and strategic objectives of the association. The Board is accountable to the Regulator of Social Housing.
We are seeking new board members, with relevant experience, to help us deliver our strategic objectives:
– provide high quality homes and services that meet the needs, wishes and aspirations of tenants
– invest in the quality, safety and environmental sustainability of our homes
– demonstrate high standards of governance and business effectiveness to maintain a strong financial position.
The Board of Management meets 5 times a year plus additional training as and when required.
Attendance at meetings can be a mixture of in person and electronic.
This is a volunteer role.
An induction will be arranged for new members.
If you feel you can help us achieve our objectives, please apply to find out more about the role.
What are we looking for?
We are seeking people with a range of experience, particularly in maintenance or asset management in social housing, housing management, finance, IT and HR with the following skills and abilities:
– be able to work effectively as a team member
– be able to think strategically
– be able to understand and represent the interests of tenants
– believe in the mission and values of the association
– be able to act as a critical friend having the confidence to ask question constructively and challenge when appropriate
– be able to listen well and involve others in discussion and debate and ask questions in a supportive and helpful way
– Understand the environment that the association operates in
– Respect diversity and value difference
– Have time to attend meetings of the board and a willingness to undertake training
– Have a general knowledge of the legal framework relating to employment.
No previous experience as a board member is required.
Knowledge of the regulatory framework for social housing is desirable.
We encourage people from all sections of our community to apply. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic, disabled and young adults as these groups are underrepresented on our board.
What difference will you make?
As part of the board, you will support and shape our work and strategic direction and be part of the next stage of the organisation’s growth and development.
The role presents the opportunity to join a well-established and effective team of trustees. It is a learning opportunity with the reward of making a real difference to the lives of existing and future residents of our homes.
Before you apply
Expressions of interest via Reach, followed by shortlisting and interview. Appointment will be subject to a fit and proper persons declaration.
Office Location: Erdington, B24 8EH (mainly at home, or mainly at the office).
Time: Mostly outside office hours. Estimate of time needed: 0-5 hours/month.
The Board meets five times a year for approximately 3 hours per meeting with additional training and business planning sessions on an ad hoc basis.
Deadline: 31st October 2023
If this position meets your criteria, contact us on 0121 328 5105 or through our Contact Form.