Rent and Money Rent and Money

Paying your rent is an important part of your tenancy agreement and you must pay your rent on time. We rely on our tenants to pay the rent so that we can run our business and carry out essential repairs and improvements to tenant's homes.

Remember: Rent is a priority debt - you may lose your home if you don’t pay the rent.


  When to pay

Your rent is due weekly in advance on a Monday. If you want to pay monthly, this must be in advance for the coming month e.g. pay on 1st July for the month of July.

To help you know how much you have paid and when, we will send you a rent statement every 3 months. You may also request a copy of your rent statement at any time and we’ will send it to you by post.

Your rent is reviewed each year, any changes are effective from the first full week in April. We will always write to let you know before we make any changes to your rent.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  How to Pay

There are lots of ways to pay your rent and service charge:


Through our Website

Click the following link to open Allpay

When you first use this you’ll need to register and will be prompted for your password each time you make a payment


Over the phone using a debit card

Call the Allpay automated payment service 24 hours a day, on 0844 557 8321 (charged at national rates). You will need the payment reference number displayed on your rent card. Alternatively, during office hours you can call us on 0121 382 5105 (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 9.00am - 3.30pm)


Through the Allpay app, or on-line by creating an Allpay account
allpay app
If you have an Apple or Android phone, you can pay using the Allpay app. You can download the app free of charge from the Apple store or from Google Play. You’ll need the 19 digit number displayed on your rent payment card and a bank debit card to use this method of payment.

If you would prefer to pay on-line go to to register and create an account.


At our office
Birmingham Civic Housing Association
By cash, cheque, debit or credit card, ask for a receipt and keep it safe.
(This service is not currently available)


At a shop
With a PayPoint outlet using cash or debit card - You’ll need to take your rent payment card.


At a Post Office
Post Office
Using cash, cheque or a debit card. – You’ll need to take your rent payment card.


Using telephone or on-line banking

You can also pay using telephone or on-line banking. Contact us for the sort code, account number and reference to use.


Bank Standing Order

You can also pay monthly by bank standing order. Contact us for a mandate form to send to your bank.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  Direct from Housing Benefit

You may be able to get benefit to help you pay some or all of your rent. You will need to contact Birmingham City Council’s Benefit Service to check if this is an option for you or if you receive Universal Credit you should contact the Department of Work and Pension (DWP).

If you need advice please contact us and we will help you make your claim for benefit.

If you receive full or part housing benefit you should ask for this to be paid directly to us. You’ll need to pay any balance or shortfall to us using one of the other ways.

Don’t forget it is your responsibility to claim benefit and you should do so as soon as your circumstances change as any change can affect the amount of benefit you recieve and late claims are often not backdated.

When you start to receive Universal Credit, you’ll need to pay your rent to us using one of the methods on these pages.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

If you start to struggle to pay your rent then please talk to us straight away. We will help you claim the benefits you may be entitled to and agree a way for you to pay off the rent debt. We will also help you get advice for managing any other debts.

Paying your rent is one of the most important bills you need to pay so please don’t ignore the problem as it won’t go away and the longer you leave it the worse things will be.

Check out if you are getting all the welfare benefits you are entitled to now. This easy-to-use benefit calculator will help you check what you can claim.

You can also get help in claiming welfare benefits or managing debts from:

  • Citizens Advice Bureau The Citizens Advice Bureau. The benefits section is able to provide information on benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran. The Citizens Advice Bureau can also help with budgeting advice and managing your debts.
  • National Debtline The National Debtline Call free on 0808 808400 from landline or mobile
    Follow the link to look at their website, it has lots of information you may find useful. This is a free confidential debt advice service run by the charity Money Advice Trust . Nine out of ten people who get help from the national debtline say they feel more confident in tackling their debts and managing their money
  • Stepchange Stepchange Call free on 0800 138 1111.

    This is the UK's leading debt advice charity and has been helping people break free from problem debts for 20 years.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  What happens if you don’t pay

If you are having difficulty paying the rent, we will provide as much help and advice as we can. If rent is not paid or an acceptable repayment agreement followed we may take legal action that could result in you losing your home. This may also affect your credit rating.

We will take the following steps to collect rent debt:

  • Send reminder letters if the rent account is in arrears. We expect you to make an arrangement to clear the debt within an acceptable timescale. We will keep in touch with you by telephone, text messages and by visiting you at home.
  • Issue a Notice Seeking Possession (NSP) if rent payments are not made and you have not responded to the reminder letter issued to you. The NSP invites you to meet with your Rent Manager to discuss the rent debt - it is important to resolve any problems at this stage as the NSP is the first stage of the legal process to evict you from your home.
  • A regular review of any rent debt is carried out by your Rent Manager and if the debt remains un-paid we may ask the County Court for a Possession Order to evict you as well as a Money Judgment Order to recover debts. We will also add any court charges to your debt (currently £250) and you must pay this charge as well as the rent debt as the court decides.
  • Should you have a rent debt when you leave your home, you may find it difficult to find another home with the council or another Housing Association. We will continue to pursue tenants who have left their home with rent arrears and other debts and may use a debt collection agency to help us recover these debts.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  What other help can I get?

The local Foodbank in Birmingham provides emergency food parcels for people experiencing a temporary financial crisis. The foodbank works on a voucher referral system and food vouchers can be obtained from various agencies including money advice organisations and social workers. We hold vouchers for the foodbank in Green Lane Small Heath. Speak to us if you need food

Help with furniture
For people on certain benefits there is help to obtaining recycled furniture. The Furniture Re-use Network, supports over 300 re-use charities, aims to relieve poverty and reduce waste by promoting the re-use of essential household furniture and electrical appliances.
The Ladywood project also provides a local service where furniture is recycled and provides for those on low incomes.

Credit Unions
Credit Unions are a great way to save and borrow money at much cheaper rates than doorstep lenders. Have a look at the Birmingham Credit Union website - Citysave to see how they can help you.


Click to go back to the top of the page


  Help heating your home

With energy bills on the rise you need to make sure you are getting the best price. My Home Energy Switch is a free, impartial comparison and switching service for social housing tenants.
Ring 0800 0014 706 now to speak to the dedicated customer service team and see how much you can save. Or visit

There are lots of grants to help people on low incomes to heat their home. Do you know about these?

Winter Fuel Payment helps older people with their heating bills. You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1954 (as at winter 2018) This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

Warm Home Discount Scheme - have a look to see if you qualify.

Cold Weather Payments are made to people who get certain welfare benefits when the local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.


Click to go back to the top of the page